[svk-devel] svn space savings comparison?

Andrew Sasak andrew.sasak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 22:35:27 EST 2007

So this example uses a working copy that has numerous changes, and if the
working copy was pristine (no changes) SVN would require must less space?
This brings up another question, what is the space used by a fresh checkout
from SVK? Since it links to the local copy of the repository, is it nil? If
so this is tremendous: I use multiple working copies for the same repository
(trunk, branch, branch, etc) and am annoyed with all the requisite
duplication. Even though storage is relatively cheap, its the principal of
this inefficiency I don't like. If working copies do hardlink to the
repository, it would eliminate all the duplication of data I don't like. Is
this how it works?

As an aside, the functionality I'm supposing SVK implements seems like
something that could be part of a filesystem implementation. That is, the
ability to hardlink a directory tree and when any attempt to modify the
referenced data is made the hardlink is dereferenced. Does anybody know if
any filesystems currently implement anything like this?