[svk-devel] svk 2 on Win32 newbie question, hopefully not too annoying...

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Sun Feb 25 18:09:06 EST 2007

Hi, I've been interested in switching from plain old svn to svk for a
while (right now I have my svn repository local on my laptop, and I'd
like to move that to my server, using svk on the laptop, which will be
really great), and I have been reading this list, and I'm trying to
figure out how stable svk 2.0.0 is on win32.  I know the list is
primarily a place where people report bugs and feature requests, so it
gives a kind of biased impression of the situation, hence this mail
before I take the plunge...

So, my question is:  If I want to do a fairly vanilla svk use case,
namely have a svn 1.4.x repository on a server, accessed using an ssh
tunnel and svnserve, and have a local svk mirror of the svn repository
so I can work locally with history, and then merge back and forth from
the server, can I just install the 2.0.0 binary on the SVKWin32 wiki
page and it will "just work"?

More details:  I have ActivePerl installed...does that package need
Strawberry Perl, and are there conflicts between the two?  Will it run
correctly if I have ActivePerl installed already?  If I want to stick
with ActivePerl (and I have vc++) should I build svk myself using the
instructions on BuildingFromSourceWithVS2005 (which have various patches
that need to be applied, and seems a little scary)?

SVK seems totally awesome and exactly what I want, I'm just a little
worried about the stability on Win32 right now given the stuff I've
seen, and I'm trying to figure out if that's a reasonable worry or if
it's all good and I'm just seeing people talking about edge cases.  Of
all my software, I need to trust the vcs the most, so I'm nervous.  :)

Thanks for any advice,
Chris