[svk-devel] [Noob Alert] Subversion => SVK

Andrew Ruder aeruder at ksu.edu
Sat Jan 20 12:47:19 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:17:52AM -0800, Mark Lundquist wrote:
> Hi Stig, thanks for all the answers...
>
> On Jan 20, 2007, at 4:24 AM, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>
> >>7) Can I mirror a remote depot starting at its current HEAD instead
> >>of back to the beginning of time?  Advantages / disadvantages to
> >>doing this?
> >
> >Yes you can; you can start mirroring a depot at any point in time. I
> >seem to remember that this might use more disk space for
> >branches/tags, but I don't know this for certain.
>
> How do I do this?  I looked for it in the book, maybe I missed it?

In most cases you do *not* want to do this.  On the GNUstep project I
mirrored 1000 revisions (vs. 24000) and ended up using well over a gig
and a half for my repository, with all 24000 it was well under a gig AND
I had more information.  When you start mirroring at anywhere besides
rev 1, it can no longer utilize cheap copies for the tags/branches
you've made.  It has to literally import every tag/branch as new files
and that gets very hefty very fast.

- Andy

--
Andrew Ruder <andy at aeruder.net>