[svk-devel] Integration testing with the ASF SVN server?

Jason Dillon jason at planet57.com
Thu Jul 19 06:27:31 EDT 2007

Hiya folks, just wondering if anyone does any integration testing of
SVK using the main ASF SVN server?

I've had a bunch of problems using SVK with it due to it being one
massive SVN repo.  I'd really like to see some of the SVK experts
doing some integration tests with this SVN server so that we can weed
out any problems in SVK (or in its related modules) so that folks at
the ASF can use SVK for development.  I really believe that SVK is a
hugely powerful tool for simple to complex projects to facilitate
offline work as well as, and probably most importantly, effective and
mostly automated hassle free merges.

I've gotten a few request for help from ASF folks to use SVK, though
so far there isn't much I can do except tell 'em to use the SVK trunk
and then ask in #svk for help.  I'd really love to see SVK *just
work* with the ASF SVN server... and I think a lot of other folks
would too.

Is there anyway I can coerce (or maybe even bribe) folks to do some
integration testing using our SVN server?  Anything I can do to help
facilitate that I'm willing to help work out too.  I think we could
probably even get a specific tree setup with a reasonable amount of
code, maybe seeded from maven, commons, geronimo, to be used for this
purpose.  BTW, are any SVK developers ASF commiters?

I think this would be very useful for all SVK users.  For the most
part SVK works great with smaller SVN repos, but the ASF uses one
massive public repo for pretty much everything, which I'm not sure is
really duplicated anywhere else in the open-source cosmos.

IMO... if you gotta use SVN, then you really gotta use SVK.  Its such
a powerful development tool, which I'm sure that many folks at the
ASF would just cream their pants for once it works reliably, and
maybe they are educated a wee bit on how kick-ass-amazing it is.
I've shown the light to a few folks already.

I appreciate any comments...

:-)

Cheers,

--jason