[svk-devel] Still problems using svk w/svn.apache.org

Jason Dillon jason at planet57.com
Fri Mar 2 02:37:38 EST 2007

So, svn.apache.org was finally upgrade to svn 1.4.3 today... :-)  And
though svk sync did get *much, much* further than it did before (when
the server was svn 1.3)... it still pukes with RA layer problems...
and now it segfaults too... and sometimes spits out these malloc
lines over and over and over (sometimes a few hundred):

<snip>
$ /opt/local/bin/svk sync -a
Starting to synchronize //mirrors/geronimo/server
Syncing https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server
Retrieving log information from 472725 to 513631
RA layer request failed: REPORT request failed on 'https://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server': REPORT of 'https://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server': Could not read chunk
delimiter: Secure connection truncated (https://svn.apache.org)
Died at /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/SVK/Mirror/Backend/
SVNRaPipe.pm line 212.
perl(4385) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x1c6c000; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
perl(4385) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x1c6c000; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
perl(4385) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x1b2a200; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
perl(4385) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x357b; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
Segmentation fault
</snip>

One of the ASF admins was nice enough to peep into the server logs
and reported this:

<snip>
File not found: revision 472728, path '/geronimo/server/trunk/modules/
geronimo-persistence-jpa10/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/
persistence/TransformerWrapper.java'
the preamble to that is:
Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.
[404, #0]
Problem replaying revision  [404, #160013]
</snip>

I had been using the Mac OSX builds from here:

     http://homepage.mac.com/hiirem/svkbuilds.html

But someone from #asfinfra mentioned something about a new
SVK::Mirror and about SVN::Mirror being horrible broken... and since
these builds say something about SVN::Mirror, I tried the macports
version too (which is what the above output is from).  But both
behave in exactly the same way.

Another odd thing I noticed was in the last snip above, its
referencing the TransformerWrapper.java in rev 472728... which is
very odd... since this change is actually in the next revision 472729.

472728 actually has nothing to do with the Geronimo project (which is
what I am trying to use svk with).

I've tried http and https... both fail in the same basic ways, though
http pukes with something more like:

<snip>
$ svk sync -a
Starting to synchronize //mirrors/geronimo/server
Syncing http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server
Retrieving log information from 472725 to 513639
RA layer request failed: REPORT request failed on 'http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server': REPORT of 'http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server': 200 OK (http://
svn.apache.org)
Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at /usr/local/svn/
perl/SVK/Mirror/Backend/SVNRaPipe.pm line 250.
perl(4491) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x1cf9a00; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
perl(4491) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x1ca7a00; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
perl(4491) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x1c45000; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
perl(4491) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x1d22f7b; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable
MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
Segmentation fault
</snip>

I even tried to get win32 version (from http://
kevinhlight.googlepages.com/svkwin32) working... but the installer
complains that its corrupt (and the md5 does not match).  And anyone
who knows me... knows I hate windows... but I was (and still am)
willing to use it if helps me debug this problem (though if it would
only work on windows... er... well... i'll go shoot myself now :-P).

Anyways... I completely lost on how to get working with svk for
Geronimo :-(  I *desperately* want to get svk working to manage
branching and some major project layout re-factoring work.  SVK is
the closest thing I'm going to get to Perforce when working on ASF
stuff... so I really, really, really want to figure out how to make
this work... for me and other Geronimo developers.  This is a hugely
powerful tool for managing branching and merging with SVN repos and I
really, really... really want to figure this out.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?  Is this a SVK
bug?  A SVN bug?  A corrupt repo?  Server on crack?  User on crack?

Anything would be helpful...

please

/me gets down on his knees

--jason