[svk-devel] Slow sync on big revisions

Adrian Wilkins adrian.wilkins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:16:35 EDT 2007

In a revision which edits 3600 files, with 2.2MB of delta in the back
end repository revision, SVK sits there and eats 19 minutes of CPU
time. It actually takes so long that I had to switch compression off
on the server because it was cutting it off at the DEFLATE filter as
it timed out.

My question is, since SVK seems to be aware of the part of the RA
layer that svnsync uses to replay transactions, why does this take so
long? The folder holding the revision takes about 12 minutes for a
fresh checkout. Is the replay API being used under all conditions (not
from my reading of the code though)? The sync is being done over an
office LAN, so bandwidth is not an issue. If the replay functions are
not being used, would using them speed things up a lot?

I would be taking full mirrors of my production repos for work at
home, but alas, at this pace, some of them will take longer than a
workday to sync.

Second example. The entire changeset consists of a mere 1MB composed
of 708 XML files, in the same folder, added in one revision. About 5
minutes to sync.

I can fully appreciate there may be a good reason for this, but it's
still impeding my workflow.