[rt-devel] Confusing user interface in commandline rt

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Mon Jun 3 23:00:36 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:14:30PM +0930, Dan Shearer (dan at tellurian.com.au) wrote:

> I suppose the question is which is likely to bite the most people.

No, that's the Bad UI Question. The Good UI Question is which behavior
is going to be hardest to repair. The second half of the principle of
least surprise is that surprises should be not only infrequent but
small.

> Those that are trying to set up a gateway interface that "keeps
> hanging for mysterious reasons" (which means they haven't spotted
> the log/error message that says Shall I Delete [Y/N]") or those that
> run it in commandmode and inadvertently do damage?

Might I introduce you to isatty(3)? There's no point in prompting if
you already know you're in a noninteractive environment.

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!