[rt-devel] RT 3.0.2pre4

Autrijus Tang autrijus at autrijus.org
Mon Apr 28 04:23:11 EDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:37:47AM -0700, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:
> With the encoding map removed from autohandler, it converts
> the charsets more or less correctly.

The reason that this works is because Perl's default magic
behaviour on concatenating utfstrings and non-utfstrings;
the latter is silently converted via:

    Encode::decode('iso8859-1', $octets)

Hence, if incoming mails are stored in anything else than
latin1, everything still breaks.

There are two ways to fix this problem: either hack rt-mailgate
so that it extracts the charset and pre-convert the whole mail
to utfstring before POSTing it to the REST receiver, or add a
special flag that inhibits utfstring conversion in autohandler,
and let the REST handler to do the dirty work.

Personally I like the second way better (so that other mailgates
won't have to duplicate the code), but I'd like to ask Jesse's
opinion before plunging in.

Also... What should such a flag be called?  "PreserveOctets=1"?
"Decode=0"?

Thanks,
/Autrijus/