[rt-devel] RT Optimizations

Josh Levinger Josh.Levinger at DARTWARE.COM
Wed May 7 17:10:22 EDT 2003

I'm running RT 3.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.2.5, Mysql 4.0.12, Apache 1.3.27, modperl
1.27, perl 5.8.0. The box itself is a G4 800, with a gig of ram.

The home screen of RT loads quite slowly. Once in, I can access tickets quickly,
but the home screen takes at least a minute to load. I know it won't be fast the
first time, as RT has to compile, but the home screen is still slow each
subsequent time.

I've applied the following optimizations to mysql. It starts with these options:

key_buffer=64M
table_cache=256
sort_buffer=4M
read_buffer_size=1M

It has these indices:

alter table Tickets add INDEX TypeINDEX(Type);
alter table Tickets add INDEX StatusINDEX(Status);
alter table Groups add INDEX DomainINDEX(Domain);
alter table Groups add INDEX InstanceINDEX(Instance);
alter table Groups add INDEX TypeINDEX(Type);
alter table Principals add INDEX PrincipalsINDEX(PrincipalType);
alter table CachedGroupMembers add INDEX GroupIdINDEX(GroupId);
alter table CachedGroupMembers add INDEX MemberIdINDEX(MemberId);
alter table Transactions ADD INDEX TicketIndex(Ticket);
alter table Transactions ADD INDEX EffectiveTicketIndex(EffectiveTicket);
alter table Transactions ADD INDEX CreatorIndex(Creator);
alter table Attachments ADD INDEX CreatorIndex(Creator);
alter table Attachments add index ParentIndex(Parent);
alter table Attachments ADD INDEX TransactionId(TransactionId);
alter table Tickets ADD INDEX EffectiveIdIndex(EffectiveId);
alter table Tickets ADD INDEX OwnerIndex(Owner);
alter table Tickets ADD INDEX CreatorIndex(Creator);

Apache has these settings in httpd.conf (among others, these are just the
relevant ones)

MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 5
MaxClients 10

Any suggestions on further optimizations? I've enabled the slow query log in
mysql.conf, but have yet to see it appear. The machine is certainly beefy enough
to run RT with our small number of tickets (<15K, most of which is spam). Might
deleting the spam help? Does anyone have a copy of delete_dead_tickets.pl ?

Many thanks,

--
Josh Levinger
Dartware, LLC