[Rt-devel] Question concerning upgrade from 3.6.3 to 3.8

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Wed Aug 6 17:52:55 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Curtis Bruneau <curtisb at vianet.ca> wrote:
> Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

>>> I have had the same issue, basically the rt-setup-database upgrade
>>> scripts complain that's it's not the new schema, you have to do the
>>> alter table schema updates before you can run it, unfortunately the
>>> documentation isn't very specific in that regard, the instruction is
>>> confusing with the documents cross referencing.
>>>

>> What exactly is confusing? Please provide us more info, we really
>> would like to improve documentation to make it easier.Curtis
>
> It's not exactly bad, there's just 3 documents to refer when upgrading w/
> mysql .. the part that confused me was in the README when you get to step 7
> it says read UPGRADE. There's a few things to check in there, some things
> say to do before the upgrade, I assume it's safe to also run the
Oh, yep. We should adjust README to point to UPGRADING earlier.

> shrink_cgm_table.pl before an upgrade, or is it? So on to UPGRADING.mysql..
> it says

shrink_cgm_table is actually optional step, but it can delete up 50%
of records from CachedGroupMembers table what can improve performance
of several operations. Can be applied at any step, but as it deletes a
lot of rows then it's reasonable to upgrade first, test upgrade
results, check that everything is fine, backup and shrink.

> 3) Apply changes described in the seven step, but only up to version 3.8.0.
>
> 4) Apply mysql 4.0->4.1 schema changes. RT tarball has script
> etc/upgrade/schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl that generates SQL queries to upgrade
> schema of
> the DB. Run it:
>
>   perl etc/upgrade/schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl > sql.queries
>

> The problem here is you have to run step 4 in (UPGRADING.mysql) before doing
> the end of step 7 in (README).. then it says to go back to 7 after it's done
> .. which is fine .. I think the STEP 3) in UPGRADING.mysql is misleading
> because rt-setup-database scripts simply won't work until
> schema.mysql-4.0.4.1.pl is ran and executed.
Are you sure about that? I just did it without any problems? Can look
in some archives

> Sorry if this doesn't make sense.. basically it might help to make a single
> upgrade document where the step order is a little more defined.

Then people who don't use mysql quickly loose track of things.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.