[Rt-devel] Question concerning upgrade from 3.6.3 to 3.8

Curtis Bruneau curtisb at vianet.ca
Thu Aug 7 11:55:43 EDT 2008

Ruslan Zakirov wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Curtis Bruneau <curtisb at vianet.ca> wrote:
>
>> Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

>>> What exactly is confusing? Please provide us more info, we really
>>> would like to improve documentation to make it easier.Curtis
>>>
>> It's not exactly bad, there's just 3 documents to refer when upgrading w/
>> mysql .. the part that confused me was in the README when you get to step 7
>> it says read UPGRADE. There's a few things to check in there, some things
>> say to do before the upgrade, I assume it's safe to also run the
>>
> Oh, yep. We should adjust README to point to UPGRADING earlier.
>

>> shrink_cgm_table.pl before an upgrade, or is it? So on to UPGRADING.mysql..
>> it says
>>

> shrink_cgm_table is actually optional step, but it can delete up 50%
> of records from CachedGroupMembers table what can improve performance
> of several operations. Can be applied at any step, but as it deletes a
> lot of rows then it's reasonable to upgrade first, test upgrade
> results, check that everything is fine, backup and shrink.
>

>> 3) Apply changes described in the seven step, but only up to version 3.8.0.
>>
>> 4) Apply mysql 4.0->4.1 schema changes. RT tarball has script
>> etc/upgrade/schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl that generates SQL queries to upgrade
>> schema of
>> the DB. Run it:
>>
>>   perl etc/upgrade/schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl > sql.queries
>>

>> The problem here is you have to run step 4 in (UPGRADING.mysql) before doing
>> the end of step 7 in (README).. then it says to go back to 7 after it's done
>> .. which is fine .. I think the STEP 3) in UPGRADING.mysql is misleading
>> because rt-setup-database scripts simply won't work until
>> schema.mysql-4.0.4.1.pl is ran and executed.
>>
> Are you sure about that? I just did it without any problems? Can look
> in some archives

Not for me, if i run 'rt-setup-database -action upgrade' it will ask me
what version to upgrade from and appears to go through each, but it
doesn't seem to check for errors, what appears to have worked didn't for
me. The issue is apparent when you try to run the longer way for each
version, specifically the schema action (rt-setup-database --action
schema --datadir etc/upgrade/3.5.1 etc..) complains about the database
not being the latest schema, i've traced the error output to
RT::Handle->CheckCompatibility that is called from the schema action.

        if ( $version >= 4.1 && $state eq 'post' ) {
            my $create_table = $dbh->selectrow_arrayref("SHOW CREATE
TABLE Attachments")->[1];
            unless ( $create_table =~ /\bContent\b[^,]*BLOB/i ) {
                return (0, "RT since version 3.8 has new schema for
MySQL versions after 4.1.0\n"
                    ."Follow instructions in the UPGRADING.mysql file.");
            }
        }

Once I applied the schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl the schema actions were fine,
I was having the same problem as someone else mentioned where the RT at
a glance wasn't being populated.
>> Sorry if this doesn't make sense.. basically it might help to make a single
>> upgrade document where the step order is a little more defined.
>>

> Then people who don't use mysql quickly loose track of things.
>
> Curtis.

Thanks
Curtis.