[rt-devel] New RT-theme: "love at first sight" maker theme

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Tue Mar 26 15:47:30 EDT 2013

On 03/25/2013 04:54 PM, akos.torok at docca.hu wrote:
> Our goal is to make RT more desirable for everyday people.

++ :)

> For this reason we (more precisely: our designer friends) would ask for
> inserting a lot of divs (with classes, ids) into certain points of the
> code. I think it is not easy since it could cause structural changes on
> the html pages of RT.

There are already a lot of divs and what not in RT.  While the HTML
structure could use some cleanup, it's not completely hopeless either.
I think you'll be more successful as a community contribution if you
approach with the intention to make as few HTML changes as possible
rather than the intention of redoing most of it.

> My question is: what do you think is the best way to make it? I mean how
> to avoid old themes from disruption and keep our contribution being an
> RT friendly one? And how to create this theme to a maintainable
> contribution?
>
> 1. Can we propose lots of new divs into the code (in git)?

Yes, you can create a branch and do your hacking there.  If you want it
to be considered for merging into core, it'll need to be well written
and a reasonable set of changes (i.e. not superfluous "just because").

Any large scale core changes to HTML will need to be against master, not
the 4.0-trunk series, since changing it mid-release series may break
existing customizations folks are using.

Check out our hacking doc:
http://bestpractical.com/rt/docs/latest/hacking.html

> 2. Or should we insert callbacks, and into the callbacks should we put
> the new divs? In this case we should have closer tag (</div>) callbacks too.

While callbacks are nice for some things, this use case gets ugly quick.
 I'd recommend against it.

> 3. Any other idea?

If you need to do some DOM manipulation that isn't *too* extensive, you
could use a bit of custom JS to move things around.  It's not a great
solution, but perhaps a stop gap until the core HTML is better.