[rt-devel] Attempting to make Subject: tag matching a little more permissive, diff enclosed

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.com
Thu Sep 29 18:20:34 EDT 2016

On Sep 29, 2016, at 8:17 AM, Jim Brandt <jbrandt at bestpractical.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/16 4:36 PM, Alexis Rosen wrote:
>> Can you point me to a doc describing "override libraries"? This is my first look at RT source and I'm not familiar with how it's organized. Google is less than helpful here, so far.
>
> It's mentioned here briefly:
>
> https://docs.bestpractical.com/rt/4.2.13/RT/StyleGuide.html#The-Overlay-mechanism
>
> To be more specific, you can create a file local/lib/RT/Interface/Email_Local.pm and create your own version of ParseTicketId. RT will then use your version of that subroutine rather than the main one.

Hm. I see the advantage in isolating the source from local patches. OTOH, if a new version has a changed version of function I'm altering, I'll wind up with a hacked old version after the upgrade, not a pristine new version. Both options have disadvantages.

In any case, that brief doc is sufficient. Thanks.

>> I take it from this that you're not interested in merging the patch?
>
> I think this sort of change would be great in an extension. For example, here's another extension that provides a small bit of alternate functionality in handling subjects:
>
> https://metacpan.org/pod/RT::Extension::TrailingSubjectTag

Um. that looks a bit more involved that I'm ready to deal with. At least the patch is here in the mailing list if someone needs it.

Thanks again,
/a