[rt-users] Performance problems

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Sun Jul 15 00:27:34 EDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 05:26:34PM -0700, Trevor Sky Garside wrote:
> But this does lead to a good question for the developer:  is there any
> (easy) way to knock down the system requirements on this product?  It would
> be nice to toss an old system from the closet in as a ticket server, this
> way I don't have to piggy-back it onto a machine already tasked with other
> functions (which I hate doing because of paranoia about security).

Give the new fastcgi hander in 2.0.1 a shot. It should be a bit less of a
memory hog, as there's no mod_perl overhead.

There's always more optimization to be done. At this point, RT performs
adequately well for reasonable ticket loads on modern hardware.  If a client
wanted me to spend time working on optimisation, it's certianly something I can
do. I suspect, however, that optimizing for the low end is really a waste of
time and money, given that you could buy a new machine for far less than it
would cost for me to implement worthwhile space-saving optimisations.

        -j