[rt-users] using RT2 for project management

Christopher Kolar ckolar at imsa.edu
Tue Oct 2 09:33:47 EDT 2001

Hi everyone.  I have been running RT 1.x for nine months now as a helpdesk
for a small institution -- like others we have experienced amazing success
with the program and it has helped us and the people we serve a great deal.

I am currently looking at project management solutions for a different set
of projects while also considering the use of RT for end user support.  In
an ideal world the ticketing system and project management system would be
merged so that we could attach tickets to work flow paths.

I have looked at both phpgroupware and phprojekt, but after using RT for
all of this time I would find it had to use their less-developed ticketing
systems.  I know that the RT team actually uses RT for project management,
I was wondering if anyone else has tried and if it is workable or if it is
just trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.  We are looking to take 5
web development projects into the project management environment, the
ticketing would be to support end users of these projects who will be using
the systems in various (alpha, beta, production) states.

Any advice from the Real World would be much appreciated.

--chris

Christopher G. Kolar
    Coordinator of Information Technology Integration
    Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
  ckolar at imsa.edu  --  www.imsa.edu/~ckolar
         [PGP Public Key ID: 0xC6492C72]