[rt-users] RT to go? Dependency graphs?

Johan Ihren johani at autonomica.se
Mon Apr 15 20:16:53 EDT 2002

Matt Disney <matthew.disney at fedex.com> writes:

> Johan Ihren writes:
> >Nope, didn't work. I get no reference to DTRT whatsoever from the UI
> >and if I reference directly I get the error "RT Error: No ticket
> >specified".
> >
> >But, since I see references a la "DTRT/Overview.html" in the *new*
> >Elements/Tabs I suspect that whatever.html should actually be located
> >in a subdirectory called "DTRT", so I shifted everything down one
> >level into
> >
> >$PATH_TO_RT/WebRT/html/DTRT/
> >
> >and that "kind of worked". I can create tasks and new subtasks and so
> >on.
>
> Ah, yes. That's actually what I did. Sorry for the poor directions!

No problem.

> >I think this shows great promise and could be a really great addition
> >for me. But before achieving that I think that I need
> >
> >a) a bit more integration. As it is, if I stumble out of DTRT then I
> >   have to *know* my way back to find it.
> >
> >b) less focus on dates. I care much more about relationships between
> >   tasks than I care about exact delivery dates. And although I may be
> >   confused by the things I've stumbled on it seems to me that the
> >   basis for DTRT structure is time stamps more than relationships.
> >
> >c) Working Gantt charts.
>
> That's reasonable. Keep in mind, though, that this is basically just
> contributed work that wasn't finished. I think this began as a
> financially sponsored extension, but then the potential sponsors
> disappeared. But that doesn't mean your requirements are invalid at
> all, I just wanted to raise that point to be sure we keep our
> expectations in perspective.

Certainly. I fully understand this and I was not complaining, merely
reporting initial observations.

> >Question 1: do you have the gantt charts working?
>
> No, I also experienced the same problems you did. And actually, I'm
> not really using the DTRT stuff in a production capacity. But, I
> soon may be using my own extensions based on DTRT (merely the
> hierarchical view stuff, actually) in production for project
> management.

Ok.

> >Question 2: in your experience, is it possible to work with DTRT with
> >            focus on relationships between tasks rather than time?
>
> Definitely. You can create a page that shows you a task and its
> dependencies, but not any of the time data.

Ok. Good.

> >Question 3: have you done any integration work between RT and DTRT?
>
> No, and the integration work I do will probably be queue specific. I
> doubt I'll be adding any Tabs or anything like that.  It will be
> more like "only a couple of people will want this and they will
> access it directly via a bookmark". Basically, we're going to have a
> "Projects" queue that DTRT stuff is applicable for, but otherwise we
> probably won't use it.

Ah, of course that is an easy way of managing this.

> I'd be interested to hear what your design goals for RT and project
> management would be. Maybe we could work together to iron out some
> of the issues we've been experiencing with certain DTRT
> functionality and then target some of the same goals.

I'll think about it. Right now I admit that I was mostly out shopping
for "added value" to increase the value of switching to RT from
certain other solutions. So I really don't have specific design goals
yet, although I should be able to produce some if I just and think
about it some more.

Regards,

Johan Ihrén
Autonomica