[rt-users] Message Attachments not being delivered

Akos Szalkai szalkai at 2fkft.com
Mon Aug 5 10:20:26 EDT 2002

> Does anyone rely on this 'reliable' method?

We are trying to, but it does need some fixing.

> We seem to be able to reproduce the problem with any Eudora user ... they're
> never able to read attachments we send using the RT interface which are
> mailed using the NotifyWithAttachment contrib ScripAction. Ms LookOut! users
> can read our attachments, so that's most of the world, but I'm thinking
> that's just because MS built a very forgiving MIME parser.

You are right, the problem is that there is no MIME-Version header in
the mail (which is mandatory according to the RFC).  You can easily hack
around this by inserting a single line near the end of the scrip:

      $self->TemplateObj->MIMEObj->attach(Data => $message->Content,
                                          Type => $message->ContentType,
                                          Encoding => "base64",
                                          Description => $fname,
                                          Disposition => "attachment",
                                          Filename => $fname);

      $self->TemplateObj->MIMEObj->head->replace('MIME-Version','1.0');

(The last line above is what you should insert.)  However, we have an
even bigger problem, that can be seen above as well: the encoding is
fixed to base64.  When a multipart (or message/*) attachment is about to
be sent out, NotifyWithAttachment sets the encoding to base64, and then
MIME::Entity croaks that you can't have base64 encoding with this type.
Result: no mail gets sent out, although the transaction appears in the
database and on the web.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Akos

--