[rt-users] Changes to system

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Mon Dec 9 10:43:07 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:11:09PM +0100, Bruce Campbell <bruce_campbell at ripe.net> wrote:

> > 1: We are implementing RT for handling booking enquiries and general
> > enquiries from tourists.

Nice to see open-source software showing up in the tourism industry,
which I've always imagined to be proprietary-application hell. :-)

> > 3: I'd love to be able to set a start number for tickets, I don't like
> > starting at "#1", obviously I can do it in the database but it would be
> > a neat provision in the setup.
>
> There is no initial setting in the install Makefile for the starting
> number of the tickets, so the database trick is what you'll need to make
> do with ;)

More importantly, RT simply *asks* the database for the next ticket
number, starting or otherwise.

For what it's worth, the database trick for MySQL with MyISAM tables
is

   ALTER TABLE Tickets AUTO_INCREMENT = new_starting_id;

With InnoDB tables, that isn't supported :-( but you can get the same
feature with something like (off the top of my head!)

    BEGIN WORK;
    ALTER TABLE Tickets id int not null;  -- removed "auto_increment"
    INSERT INTO TICKETS (id) VALUES (new_starting_id);
    ALTER TABLE Tickets id int not null auto_increment;
    DELETE FROM TICKETS WHERE id = new_starting_id;
    COMMIT;

(If I remember my password, I'll test and faq that.)

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!