[rt-users] Re: RT and CVS on different hosts

Fabian Ritzmann fri at akumiitti.com
Mon Jan 14 06:59:51 EST 2002

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 10:27, Feargal Reilly wrote:

Thank you, Feargal. I'm replying to rt-users now instead of rt-devel
with what are essentially setup questions.

> I've never even looked at the CVS code, but I (and others) run the
> rt-mailgate on one machine, with the WebUI on another, and I assume the
> same prinicples apply.
> Just install a second RT on the CVS host, minus the WebUI, and do the set
> it to connect to the RT database remotely.
> I imagine that would work, but as I said, I've never looked at the CVS bit.

Thanks. I didn't consider that option properly. There are a few security
related issues I'm wondering about, though.

- If I'm not mistaken, the CVS commit handler script is run with user
permissions (we use CVS over SSH). I don't see an easy way of keeping
the rt_user database password protected in that case. Running it setuid
would be possible, but that seems risky to me, considering that a CVS
user could pass any junk to that script.

- I browsed through the "security issues" in the MySQL manual and found
SSL mentioned several times but no reference on how to configure mysqld
for it. Could somebody point me to the right section in the docs?

Fabian