[rt-users] external authentication

Wagner, T. DR EECS Tommy-Wagner at usma.edu
Wed Mar 6 06:36:17 EST 2002

I am brand new to RT, and am having a problem configuring external
authentication.

I am trying to set things up so that users can authenticate to RT using
their Windows NT Domain credentials. (Don't say it.  It is the environment
we operate in and that's what I have to work with.)  I have installed
Apache::AuthenNTLM and it works.  I have the cgi-bin directory set to
require authentication through NT and it does just that.  A good set of
credentials allows access.  A bad set does not. The REMOTE_USER environment
variable is set to NTDomain\username as you would expect.

To accomplish the same with RT I set $WebExternalAuth to "external" (or
anything) and configure Apache to require NTLM authentication at the root of
the rt2 directory.  When I try to hit the RT page, as expected, I am
prompted for credentials which I supply.  I then get back a blank page.  No
error messages on the browser.  In the apache error_log is the expected
message that access failed because of a bad or missing authentication
header.  Immediately after that in the log is the RT generated HTML for the
page I should see at the browser.  If I save that HTML to a file and open it
in a browser it is exactly what I would have expected at the browser.  It
shows that I am logged in with the NT domain credentials I supplied
(NTDomain\usrname) and the content of the page is just what I should see.
But, it's in the apache error_log and not being sent to the browser.

I am not Mr. Mod_Perl so this may be something everyone knows the answer to
except me.  I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

Tommy Wagner
Assoc Professor
Director of Support