[rt-users] RT 3.0 Speed

Nicolae P. Costescu nick at strongholdtech.com
Tue Apr 22 23:19:49 EDT 2003

You will see a big benefit from paying $400 for a motherboard/cpu/ram upgrade.
On a single CPU p4/2.4GHz, with 512MB of DDRAM you will have about 3x your
memory bandwidth, and 5x your CPU speed. This will make a BIG difference.
Your current SMP system is a shared bus architecture, and that shared RAM
bus is slow compared to the memory controller on Intel DDRAM motherboards
(i845 and above).

If you want specific recommendations for a particular mobo/cpu/ram email me
directly and I'll be glad to spec it for you.

>Message: 14
>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:30:07 -0700
>From: Dean Kao <nouveaux at lightconsulting.com>
>To: rt-users at lists.fsck.com
>Subject: [rt-users] RT 3.0 Speed
>
>Well, after reviewing RT 3.0 extensively, our director is
>hesitant because the homepage is slow.  So before I say anything,
>here is the setup:
>
>Dual P450
>512 mb ram
>RT 3.0.1
>database: Mysql 4.0.12
>SearchBuilder 0.80
>Mason 1.16
>CGI.pm 1.75
>apache 1.3.27
>perl 5.6.1
>
>And my my.cnf:
>
>[mysqld]
>datadir=/var/lib/mysql
>socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M
>set-variable = table_cache=192
>set-variable = key_buffer_size=192M
>set-variable = sort_buffer=1M
>set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size=48M
>set-variable = thread_cache=8
>
>set-variable = thread_concurrency=4
>log-bin
>server-id = 1
>
>innodb_data_home_dir = /var/lib/mysql/innodb
>innodb_data_file_path=/ibdata:300M:autoextend
>innodb_log_group_home_dir = /var/lib/mysql/innodb/iblogs/
>innodb_log_arch_dir = /var/lib/mysql/innodb/iblogs/
>set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
>set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=256M
>set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
>set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=57M
>set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=2M
>innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
>set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
>
>One of the current problems is the home page taking so long to load.
>We have several managers who just pop up to check the QuickSearch
>to see the status of the tickets in every queue and using it would
>be painful.  This is actually preventing us from migrating fully
>to 3.0.
>
>Does anyone see any optimizations to speed up our current setup?
>That page is taking on average ~10 seconds to load while the RT 2.0
>version takes ~5 seconds.
>
>If no one see anything obvious, then might I suggest having the home
>page cached so that displaying the home page doesnt require all
>those database hits.  We actually wouldn't mind that the data is not
>real time and it's off by a min or two.
>
>Dean

Nicolae P. Costescu, Ph.D.  / Senior Developer
Stronghold Technologies
46040 Center Oak Plaza, Suite 160 / Sterling, Va 20166
Tel: 571-434-1472 / Fax: 571-434-1478