[rt-users] Manually Execute Scrips

Larry Stone lcs at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 13 01:36:08 EDT 2003

> Is it possible to manually execute a Scrip by clicking on a link or something?
>
> I have a scrip which generate a Random password for a new user and sends them
> email. In case the user forgets its password. I want some kind of link placed in
> RT which only an admin can see and if given a username and clicking on a link or
> submit. It runs the scrip with passed username and generate the random password
> and sends it again to user.

I figured out a different way to do this -- set up a special queue to
reset passwords, where this scrip fires on the Create condition.
It resets the password of the requestor and sends them mail.  You can
just let the tickets rot, although they do provide a nice audit trail.

Ok, so there is a vulnerability: you can forge mail from someone to this
queue and get RT to reset their password to a new random one and send
them mail about it.  If you rely on email to the admin for password
change requests, that has the same exact vulnerability so I wasn't too
worried about it, especially with the tickets to provide history.

So far I'm only using this mechanism on a fairly new pilot project.  RT 3.0.4.

    -- Larry