[rt-users] problem with mail-gateway conf.

Jorey Bump list+rt at joreybump.com
Tue Dec 9 11:44:36 EST 2003

stefano wrote:

> Hi Jorey,
> I've tried to add a symlink in /etc/smrsh pointing to rt-mailgate and
> now the error I obtain is:
>
>  ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/home/rt/rt-yogitech/bin/rt-mailgate --queue ITgroup --action correspond
>    (reason: Service unavailable)
>    (expanded from: <rt at localhost>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 553 5.0.0 "|/home/rt/rt-yogitech/bin/rt-mailgate --queue ITgroup
> --action correspond... Unbalanced '"'
> smrsh: "rt-mailgate" not available for sendmail programs (stat failed)
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

It's better to approach this systematically:

First, find out if your version of sendmail is using smrsh:

  sendmail -d0.20 -bv | grep smrsh

If it is, then add a symlink:

  cd /etc/smrsh
  ln -s /home/rt/rt-yogitech/bin/rt-mailgate rt-mailgate

Then in /etc/aliases put this (on one line):

  rt:	"|/etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate --queue ITgroup --action correspond
--url http://itgroup.example.com/"

Save the file and generate your new aliases table:

  newaliases

Check your log for errors. If there aren't any, send a message to RT. It
should work.