[rt-users] Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet'

Peter Ziobrzynski pzi at pzi.net
Thu Jun 12 13:38:29 EDT 2003

oops, I was quoting from 4.0.0alpha manual on my disk. I went to
internet
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Administration.html#MySQL_Database_Administration
updated copy and see 1G as the limit. Here is the quote:

|max_allowed_packet| The maximum size of one packet. The message buffer
is initialised to |net_buffer_length| bytes, but can grow up to
|max_allowed_packet| bytes when needed. This value by default is small,
to catch big (possibly wrong) packets. You must increase this value if
you are using big |BLOB| columns. It should be as big as the biggest
|BLOB| you want to use. The protocol limits for |max_allowed_packet| is
16M in MySQL 3.23 and 1G in MySQL 4.0.