[rt-users] patch to enable email threading with RT 3.0.2

Daniel E. Eisenbud eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org
Tue May 20 22:58:48 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:10:06PM -0400, Daniel E. Eisenbud <eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:01:09PM -0400, Daniel E. Eisenbud <eisenbud at cbio.mskcc.org> wrote:
> > That aside, hmm.  Hmm hmm hmm.  I suppose that RT could keep a list, for
> > each transaction, of which message-id's corresponding to which scrips it
> > used, and then construct a custom references header per-scrip.  But
> > yuck, and anyway, I have a vague feeling that that would need schema
> > changes (but maybe not?)
>
> Ah, but that's unnecessary, because RT can store one message-id per
> transaction and then append the scrip number to it.  So if you have a
> bunch of messages that went out via the same scrip, they get threaded
> together.  And you can make the first reference be the absolute
> message-id of the first comment, so the different scrip-specific
> subthreads at least get threaded together at the top if you're receiving
> mail on the ticket from more than one scrip.  Sound sane?  If
> accumulating piles of reference headers are an issue, storagewise, each
> transaction can just have a pointer to the message-id of its parent, and
> RT can track back to construct a references header when it sends out
> mail.

I'm going to try to implement this.  Additionally, each message should
have as its first reference the "true" message-id of the first
transaction in the ticket, so all the different scrip-specific subtrees
will be threaded together at the top level by smart mailers.

I'm going to punt, for now, on dealing with references to correspondence
that's not cc'ed to the ticket.  It's not obvious to me whether I'll
want to go back and do that later, but it shouldn't be too hard if it
seems warranted.  In the case of a ticket being generated by a reply to
a previous thread, the first reference will at least attach it to that
thread.

-Dan