[rt-users] Performance (speed) of RT3

John Schubert jschubert at linearcorp.com
Wed Nov 19 03:17:06 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 10:03, John Jasen wrote:
> If this machine is only used for RT, and there are only 3 people using it,
> setting the max servers to something like 5 should be reasonable. You can
> also play with the MaxRequestsPerChild value until you get a comfortable
> balance between performance and memory usage from leakage (mine, on a 1GB
> system doing entirely too much else, is 500).
I should have provided more information.  Currently 3 are beta testing,
but ultimately 14 people will be logged in (creating tickets), with a
dozen or so MORE users who may just view tickets.  So should I tweak
maxservers to around 50?

> If you're using mysql as your database, mysql 4 (I'm not sure about 3) is
> faster if you use innodb tables, and you can tune it for how much system
> resources it can gobble up.
At this risk of asking the obvious, is there a good source you know of
for finding how to fine tune MySQL 4?  Googling provides too vast of an
array (some are too basic, some too vague).

> Hope that helps. Before tuning, my system was constantly running out of
> memory and RT was painfully slow. It now can keep 15-30MB free depending
> on other things, and RT is decently responsive.
It does help greatly.  I really appreciate the responses I've gotten
from the list.   Unfortunately I have little experience tweaking, since
previous experiences with *nix have been on Ultra10s with ample
resources for everything I threw at it (apache, NIS+ slave, MySQL, &
some others).  I bought a Linux book, but it doesn't address fine tuning
at all.  Googling only had some vague references to RedHat.com with
ambiguous information, such as use Top.  Garbage in, garbage out, so I'm
sure I'm to blame for not finding better information.  So I thank
everyone on here for their indulgences/patience.

John