[rt-users] Re: Searching Attachments

Kevin Murphy murphy at genome.chop.edu
Thu Sep 4 10:28:14 EDT 2003

> It took over five minutes to complete, but that's on an attachments
> table of 310,000 rows.  And at least it *did* complete--when I do the
> search using RT's web interface, it seems to never complete.

I'm not sure that it ever begins.  In my RT 3.0.4 setup with
PostgreSQL, if I search by attachment, the Apache process spins the
CPU, and the query never returns.  I learned how to use the perl
debugger within mod_perl and can see that the code is endlessly looping
inside _BuildJoins() in /Library/Perl/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle/Pg.pm.
I can see that this is being called in the context of constructing the
query, but don't yet understand RT internals well enough to figure out
what is creating bad data for _BuildJoins() (or whether there is a
postgres-specific problem somewhere in DBIx::SearchBuilder).

If this is a known problem, hopefully Jesse or someone else could
mention it.  Otherwise, if a more knowledgeable programmer doesn't get
to this first, I wouldn't mind working on this (slowly, after hours).

-Kevin Murphy