[rt-users] Perl install tips on FreeBSD 4.8?

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Fri Sep 12 12:02:47 EDT 2003

MP> I'm building a FreeBSD (4.8) box that will be a RT server.
MP> I did a minimal install and just cvsup'd all the ports.
MP> By default it comes with perl 5.005_03
MP> There is a 5.8 port (which RT 3.x needs).

MP> Should I just:
MP> cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 ; make clean ; make install
MP> or do I need to deinstall, upgrade, etc... the existing port?

the perl that it comes with, 5.005_03, is not a port, it is part of
the base system.  what you want to do is install the perl5.8 port as
you indicate above, then run the "use.perl port" command to make sure
your ports system and the default /usr/bin/perl is the new one, and
won't be stomped on a system upgrade.  There's absolutely no need for
the old perl.

Then just install RT as per the install instructions.