[rt-users] RT3 is spawning 2 additional processes every time something is done

AJ rt at musefoundry.com
Sat Jan 10 16:44:33 EST 2004

Well, with that kind of hardware, it's DEFINTELY is not a system issue. :)

The site I mentioned before is a single 1.7 ghz Celeron running rehat 7.3
and mysql 3.23.54 and I have mysql set to 50 max connections (50 processes)
and it runs fine (although load average can get pretty high) with persistent
connections enabled in php.

You can do a mysqladmin -u root -p variables and see what the settings are.

Since setting the wait_timeout lower helped look at max_connections,
max_delayed_threads, open_files_limit (if using MyISAM tables which is RT
default should be set to 0), table_cache, and thread_stack (should be set to
65536) as well.

Also try:
mysqladmin -u <rootuser> -p status
pay attention to 'Open tables' and make sure the table_cache value is higher
than the open_tables value.

Here are they mysql settings I have. My timeouts are low because the system
cant handle too much so you don't necessarily have to set your interactive
timeout that low. In fact, with a 2-3 minute refresh, you probably
shouldn't. If anyone else has any suggestions for improving these values I
would be very happy.

One last thing, drop by your local Borders or however you typically get
books and pick up "Mysql, Second Edition" by Paul DuBios.  It is by far the
best Mysql overall reference I have found, covering everything from sql and
query tuning to mysql performance tuning.  Even though it talks a lot about
4.x it covers 3.x very well.

Have a great week and prosperous new year

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
set-variable    = key_buffer=12M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=4M
set-variable    = table_cache=256
set-variable    = sort_buffer=8M
set-variable    = record_buffer=8M
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=12M
set-variable    = thread_cache=20
set-variable    = max_connections=50
set-variable    = wait_timeout=60
set-variable    = interactive_timeout=60
[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

[mysql]
#no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=12M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=12M