[rt-users] Problems with Windows port of RT3

Autrijus Tang autrijus at autrijus.org
Sun Jun 6 01:03:57 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:46:47PM -0400, James Smith wrote:
> Someone please tell me it isn't a cruel joke on the folks who use windows and
> a not so subtle hint to use Linux...

It is not intended to be a cruel joke.  I apologize for the
troubles it caused you.

> I'm running W2k Server, fully patched (SP4 and all hotfixes), 128MB RAM, 6GB
> HD

Experience shows 128MB of ram is probably not enough for RT to run
smoothly -- it needs at least 512MB or so for reasonable performance.

If you are stuck with the 128MB machine, though, try editing this file:

    C:\Program Files\OurInternet\Request Tracker\win32\lib\WinRT\DB.pm

change both "256M" strings near the top of the file to "32M" (or "64M"
if your machine isn't used for other things), then kill the "mysqld-nt.exe"
process from the task manager.

> What happens is everything seems to install fine, but when the installer
> fires off IE to do the database startup, it hangs and the CPU goes to 100%
> and stays there until I manage to get it's attention long enough to stop the
> Apache server.

Okay... Can you look at

    C:\Program Files\OurInternet\Request Tracker\logs\httpd-error.log

and see if there's any relevant messages there?

If none, try running the initdb.cgi manually in the command line:

    cd C:\Program Files\OurInternet\Request Tracker\rt\html\cgi-bin
    "C:\Program Files\OurInternet\Common\Perl\bin\perl.exe" initdb.cgi

and see if there is any error messages printed to the console.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/