[rt-users] Archiving and Retrieval of data in RT

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Mon Mar 1 08:08:29 EST 2004

Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2004 12:53, Ritu Khetan wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>   What is the best way to archive data from RT (using Postgres) say on
>>a yearly basis. However, this data should be available at any point of
>>time of read/search if required.
>>
>>Say, for e.g. -
>> If I have 5 years data in RT, which I do not require everyday, I would
>>like to archive it yearly so that it does not slow the performance of my
>>system. However, at the same time, if I have a request to look for some
>>information in the archived data, I should be able to look at it
>>immediately.
>

> Do the database archiving by hand/script... just setup an identical rt3
> database, dump the databases, do diffs and add new records to rt3_archive...
> or something to that effect.
> As for access, depends how 'immediate'... if you can handle having to change
> $DatabaseName in RT_SiteConfig.pm, and then reloading RT in the browser, that
> should work.
> If that's not immediate enough, you could set up a second RT instance with a
> different $DatabaseName, plus a virtual host so you can access this
> rt_archive instance 'immediately' - on a different web address.
> Cerion

Your solution don't solve main problem: perfomance of main server
because all tickets still there.

Ritu, there is no simple way to do what you want. Yes, you should use
another RT instance for archive, but also should write scripts that move
    old tickets to archive and don't break anything.

		Best regards. Ruslan.