[rt-users] mod_perl2 compatibility

Ruslan U. Zakirov Ruslan.Zakirov at miet.ru
Mon Jul 11 19:39:27 EDT 2005

Christopher Allison wrote:
> [...]
>
> Every step of the instructions went perfectly, with one hitch...
>
>> Installation procedure follows...
>> -William
>

> Snip-snip
>
>> ### Assuming everything is present and it's a go, install and
>> intialize database...
>>   make install
>

> Here, William's directions seem to go awry. He says to follow 'make
> install' with 'make initialize-database', but 'make install' finishes by
> outputting the following:
>
>         Congratulations. RT has been installed.
>

>         You must now configure RT by editing /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm.
>
>         (You will definitely need to set RT's database password in
>         /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm before continuing. Not doing so
>     could be very dangerous.  Note that you do not have to manually
>     add a database user or set up a database for RT.  These actions
>     will be taken care of in the next step.)
>
>         After that, you need to initialize RT's database by running
>          'make initialize-database'
>
> I emailed the list about this discrepancy, and got back two responses.
> One was from William, who says that the sequence here doesn't matter,
> another was from another RT user who said (as the above warning does)
> that the sequence matters very much, since the info in RT_SiteConfig.pm
> is used in building the database. Because the second piece of advice,
> the instructions output by 'make install', and warnings all over the
> wiki, docs, and in other installation guides all seem to agree on the
> importance of editing RT_SiteConfig.pm first, I went ahead and did the
> following first:
>
>> ### Make a copy of the dist config file to edit:
>>   cp /opt/rt3/etc/RT_Config.pm /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm
>> ### Edit your RT config file for your purposes:
>>   edit /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm
>>   ### Change the line:
>>   ### Set($WebBaseURL , "http://RT::WebBaseURL.not.configured:80");
>>   ### to read:
>>   ### Set($WebBaseURL , "http://your.ip.address:80");
>>   ### Change the line:
>>   ### Set($WebPath , "");
>>   ### to read:
>>   ### Set($WebPath , "/rt");
>

> Only then did I
>
>>   make initialize-database
>

> While William says his instructions work as they stand, and I have no
> reason not to believe that, I can't confirm it either, as I followed the
> RT installer's instructions to edit RT_SiteConfig.pm first. Whether you
> follow William's sequence or the standard RT sequence at this step, I'd
> encourage you to work from the wiki instructions, as those have been
> updated (with new formatting, if nothing else). Disclaimer: I changed
> the wiki instructions to match the procedure I followed after 'make
> install' (nothing more than copy and paste of what was there). It worked
> for me, but if you want to follow William's instructions, you can undo
> the switch described in this email. Again, the instructions are at:

William and other are right from thier points of view and wrong at the
same time.
Main thing you HAVE TO do before you init your RT DB is set up password
of the RT database user. RT code base uses one user account to connect
its DB, by default it's 'rt_user' with password 'rt_pass'. You WANT
change default values before you init RT DB in other case you have local
RT security hole and anybody with local system login can access RT data
with this credentials via DB console program.

You can use ./configure arguments --with-db-rt-user and
--with-db-rt-pass to setup it, then you don't need to change config
file, because RT_Config.pm would be filled with your new values instead
of the defaults.
Second way is change your config before you run 'make initialize-database'.
If you allready has DB initilized then you should read your DB docs to
find way to change user name and/or password.

So both variants of the installation are right from the "smallest number
of commands" point of view, but wrong from the "secure RT data" point.

Please, apply some changes to instalation guides. IMHO easiest way is
configure script options.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.