[rt-users] email responses created separate tickets

Vicki Stanfield vicki at progeny.com
Mon May 16 12:29:41 EDT 2005

I am a bit confused about emailed responses to rt tickets. First, I have
an alias setup so that mail to sysadmin at domain.com comes into the local
rt sysadmin queue. That seems to work fine. Now I have a situation where
a user sent an email to rt which didn't get added as a ticket to rt (the
cause is a network problem not an rt problem). I then responded to her
email which still had the cc to the sysadmin queue, and the ticket got
created. When another employee responded to my response, a second ticket
was created instead of it being added to the ticket I created. Then the
original sender replied, and a third ticket was created. What criteria
determines whether a new ticket gets created or whether the email is
appended to an existing ticket? Is it a ticket number in the Subject
line or something like that? I have googled for the answer, but
everything I have found has been either too high level to mention
something so trivial or too low level to do so.

Vicki