[rt-users] Separating access to queues (a la CPAN)

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Mon May 16 13:24:47 EDT 2005

At Saturday 5/14/2005 10:19 AM, William McKee wrote:

>Now I'm trying to figure out how to manage this incredible tool. I have
>setup 2 groups--staff and clients. Now I want my clients to be able to
>submit tickets which my staff can take. I think that my preference would
>be to have global queues with tickets categorized by client. The goal is
>to allow a client to acces only their tickets but to allow staff to see
>all tickets.

William - I can't answer all your questions, but here's something for a
couple of them -

I think the typical setup is to use groups only for staff. The way to
distinguish between clients and staff is to flag staff users as
'privileged' and to leave client users unprivileged. The acl screens all
provide a way to set rights for privileged and unprivileged users. This way
you can define different access for staff & clients.

You can then use groups then control the access of different staff groups
to different queues.

>CPAN looks like a good model where each project has its tickets
>separated. Is this done via separate queues or some other method? I'm
>hoping that others have already been down this path and can advise me to
>the most logical setup.

Using queues for different projects would be a good approach.

Stephen Turner
Senior Programmer/Analyst - Client Support Services
MIT Information Services and Technology (IS&T)