[rt-users] Problems upgrading RTFM to 2.2.0RC4

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Mon Dec 18 23:25:12 EST 2006

>I'm using RT 3.6.1 with an unknown version of RTFM installed (though I
>think it is probably RTFM 2.1.40 based on the time frame installed) and
>am trying to migrate to RTFM 2.2.0RC4.  Downloaded the file, read the
>README file, didn't seem to fit the upgrade instructions (not upgrading
>from a 2.0.x release), ... so tried the normal install instructions
>(make Makefile.PL, make install), omitted "make initdb" because it
>wasn't an "initial install", stopped and started the webserver.
>
>Appears I now have an upgraded version, however all previous RTFM
>articles, while they still exist, have no content.
>
>Before I muck it up further would appreciate some advice:
>
>1.  How do you tell what version of RTFM is installed? ... I can't seem
>to find it anywhere?
>2. How can I get my article content back & properly complete the
>upgrade? ... should I run the "make initdb" command or will this
>overwrite the existing tables in the database?

Notice that /etc/upgrades has three directories:
   2.1.0  2.1.30  2.2.0RC2

You must apply the upgrade from these for each version
later than the one you are upgrading.  If you are starting with
2.1.40, then you need apply 2.2.0RC2

 But also, the README left out a critical piece.
 That is, the upgrade will break the association of
 which custom fields go with which classes (which is why
 your articles now appear to have no content.)  To get it back:

Login the RT web interface->
Config->RTFM->Custom Fields-><CUSTOM FIELD NAME>->Apply-> Select the classes
the customfield will apply to (the common is to select all) and then click Send

   bobg