[rt-users] import users

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Wed Feb 22 14:07:36 EST 2006

>It only partially does it.  I need a script that creates a batch of
>users from my ldap directory server.

  I don't know if it would help, but I had a similar situation,
  where I wanted to coordinate my RT users with real users
  that I have in ldap and sql, etc.

  So I hacked a little, to get the following:

    1. We use web external auth, so the passwords
       are always just stored in ldap.

    2. If someone logs into the web site or sends email,
       and doesn't already have an RT account, it
       creates one on the fly.  However, I made sure
       all auto-created accounts (web or email) are non-privileged.
       Giving a consultant privs is a manual thing :-)

    3. When an account is autocreated, I can sometimes identify
       the person by the web login or cannonicalize the email address.
       If so, then I do a (ph in my case, ldap in yours) lookup
       of additional info (dept name, phone) and stick these
       into RT during acct creation.

    Everything happens in the right order, and tickets do get
    created correctly first time.

    Only minor issue, I don't have a good way to delete people
    when they leave, but Jesse and Todd have pointed me in
    some very promising directions, so I have to go read some more code
    when I next come up for air.

    (I don't think I submitted all the changes back to BP, since they
    didn't seem to be of enough generality at the time; they were
    really set up for my specific case.  But the overall
    idea shouldn't be all that hard to copy.  Now, it would be real
    cool if I could store some url, maybe with ldap: protocol,
    in RT and have it lookup the dept, phone etc in real time. My scheme
    above is static, accurate only at the acct creation time.
    But, that's beyond what I need/have time for.)

    I could probably dig up where I made my changes, if that helps.

        bobg