[rt-users] Different custom fields with the same name? Advisable?

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Tue Jan 31 16:43:51 EST 2006

I've been asked to create several Custom Fields,
each called "Case Type".  I'd have one, attached to
the "accounts" queue, with drop-down values of A, B, and C.
Another, attached to the "lan" queue, with drop-down
values B and D.  And so on.   Basically, they want
to identify case types for reporting purposes, but a given
queue should only hold cases of a certain set of types.

I see it can be done technically; a Custom Field
is uniquely identified internally with and "id",
and the "name" is not unique.

But -- is this a good idea? Am I going to get burned
later on?

   bobg