[rt-users] Email Address question

sockmonk at gmail.com sockmonk at gmail.com
Sat May 20 13:41:53 EDT 2006

On 5/16/06, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:22:01PM -0500, Kristopher Lusk wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >

> > I'm trying to add a new user via the web interface who happens to have a
> > hyphen in their email address.  RT does not like this and is complaining
> > about an illegal value in the email address ( User 18682: EmailAddress:
> > Illegal value for EmailAddress ).  For instance, if Best Practical's
> domain
> > was best-practical.com instead of bestpractical.com, someone's email
> address
> > would be xyz at best-practical.com.  How would I add this person as a user?
> > Does putting double quotes around the address actually work?
> >

> It's not the hyphen that's getting in your way.
> It's a horrible error message. But it means they're already in RT as a
> user. Search for users by email address. Find them. Click "Allow this
> user to access RT"
>
> Jesse

After reading this (and having trouble changing my email address in RT), I
checked and found about six variaitions of my name in the RT Users table.
All are legitimate variations, like firstname at ourdomain.com,
firstname at our-old-domain.com, firstname.lastname at ourdomain.com, etc. Most
were probably created when I emailed in a ticket from various addresses, or
when my email client was configured slightly differently. I think we have
several other users in the same boat.

Is there any way to "merge" users the way we can merge multiple tickets that
are really about the same issue? Otherwise, I think the best solution is to
set the email fields to null at null.com so I can set the email address on my
'real' account correctly.

--
sockmonk