[rt-users] Large attachments - how to warn user before dropped

Schultz, Eric ESchultz at corp.untd.com
Thu Jan 25 12:52:29 EST 2007

> I would like to warn the user before dropping a large attachment and
> give them the opportunity to make a different selection.
> I saw this in an earlier email (dated 2006-02-24 from Eric Shultz
> "TruncateLongAttachments .."), where he had modified the RT
> code to do
> just that.  I've been attempting to do the same thing in Update.html,
> but failing.  I can't seem to determine the filesize with the
> information at hand.  Can anyone point me in the right
> direction?  Or is
> Update.html not the place to be making these changes?

Hi Karen.  Unfortunately, I've made a bunch of other changes to the
3.4.x code, so I can't easily provide you with just a simple patch.
What I can provide is the code I added for this functionality, however,
and at about what point in the file share/html/Ticket/Update.html.
Note, however, that I did not set TruncateLongAttachments in
RT_SiteConfig.pm, I set DropLongAttachments to 1.  Here are my changes:

#1:
-----------
  <& /Ticket/Elements/Tabs,
      Ticket => $TicketObj,
      Title=> $title &>

+ <& /Elements/ListActions, actions => \@Actions &>
+
  <FORM ACTION="Update.html" NAME="TicketUpdate"
        METHOD=POST enctype="multipart/form-data">
  <input type="hidden" name="QuoteTransaction" value="<%
$ARGS{QuoteTransaction} %>">
-----------

#2:
-----------
  <%INIT>
  my $CanRespond = 0;
  my $CanComment = 0;
  my $title;
+ my @Actions;

  my $TicketObj = LoadTicket($id);

-----------

#3:
-----------
      $session{'Attachments'} = { %{$session{'Attachments'} || {}},
                                $ARGS{'Attach'} => $attachment };
+
+     my $latest_attach = $ARGS{'Attach'};
+
+     # Check the length of all attachments put together, compensating
+     # for encoding overhead (* .75) like is done elsewhere in the
code.
+     my $total_length = 0;
+     foreach my $key (keys %{$session{'Attachments'}}) {
+       my $length = length(
${$session{'Attachments'}}{$key}->stringify_body );
+         $total_length += int($length * .75 / 1024);
+     }
+
+     # If the total of all attachments exceeds the RT config parameter,
+     # and we're told to drop long attachments, drop all of them.
+     # But still allow a message update.
+     my $maxsize = int($RT::MaxAttachmentSize * .75 / 1024);
+     if ($total_length > $maxsize and $RT::DropLongAttachments) {
+       $RT::Logger->warning( "Exceeded maximum attachment size. Total
length: ${total_length}k (max: ${maxsize}k)" );
+       push( @Actions, "Attachment '$latest_attach' not uploaded: total
size of all attachments (${total_length}k) would exceed limit
(${maxsize}k)" );
+       delete ${$session{'Attachments'}}{$latest_attach};  # remove
only the latest one that tipped the scales
+         delete $ARGS{SubmitTicket};  # don't go to the Display.html
page
+     }
  }
  # }}}

  # delete temporary storage entry to make WebUI clean
  unless (keys %{$session{'Attachments'}} and $ARGS{'UpdateAttach'}) {
      delete $session{'Attachments'};

Let me know how that works for you.

Eric Schultz
United Online, Inc.