[rt-users] RT 4

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Fri May 18 09:57:11 EDT 2007

>Using Nagios as an example.
>Its written also in Perl, but there's a Java port which basically eliminates
>the installation completely.
>Download a bunch JARs and fire up Java.
>If there was a port of RT in Java - this would do wonders for the adoption
>rate.
>Many big corporation don't allow open source stuff and Perl-based software
>in particular...

That makes my head spin!

Are you saying the installation is a turnoff, regardless of language?
If so, there are alternatives to java, such as a VM image.
Or, like WebGUI (a CMS I'm playing with), you can download
a full runtime, including apache, mysql, and perl itself,
so there isn't the usuall "installation".

Are you saying it must be java, just because of "policy"?
That the shop knows java, doesn't know perl, and won't
install anything but java?

Are you saying bigcos don't like things writting in perl
because perl is open source?  Even if the app is not open?
Even though RT is open in the way I care about, it is closed
in the sense that changes in the official distribution are
vetted by a company.   Besides, what now that java is being open-sourced?

I'm not that familiar with nagios.  Do the jars include a database
and web server?  Also, how do they ensure that the perl and java
versions actually work the same?

  bobg