[rt-users] RT Scalability

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Nov 26 11:28:05 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 03:58:25PM +0000, Mark Chappell wrote:
> We use RT for a significant chunk of the admissions, enquiries and
> support queries.  We now have over 1/3 of a million tickets, 300 queues
> and 600 privileged users (not to mention a whole batch of users as the
> result of spam).

While "big", that's by no means "huge" for MySQL.

> We've been running this off a dual Xeon box running MySQL (with a mysql
> slave backup server that can be swapped in at short notice), but as you
> might imagine, with that many users (a significant chunk of which use
> the web interface) it's been getting a little slow of late.

Can you talk about what you've done to tune your MySQL server? MySQL
performance tuning can take you a lot larger than you're currently at.
Having enough RAM and _using_ it are both important for keeping mysql
purring.

> I'm pretty impressed with just how well RT has scaled, however, I'm
> curious as to how many other people have tried pushing RT this far.

I know of a VOIP provider with (a locally hacked and improved) RT with
16 million tickets in it, a social network with six million tickets in
their RT (though I haven't ever _talked_ to them about it. just reported
bugs in their site ;) and at least one company running a very stock RT
3.4+ a few custom mysql indexes with well over a million tickets and
pretty impressive performance.

-jesse