[rt-users] Failed to load valid user when Everyone has the right to CreateTicket

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Thu Sep 13 20:48:33 EDT 2007

> Fran -
>     Are you _sure_ that CreateTicket has been granted to RT's
> "Everyone"
> group for your "general" queue? This log snippet would seem to
> indicate
> otherwise.

Yep, I am positive (and just triple-checked) that I have granted
Everyone the right to CreateTicket and ReplyToTicket in our General
queue's group rights.  Keep in mind that this works at least 90% of
the time - we receive first-time tickets in our General queue from
users with all manner of email addresses on a daily basis.  :-)

>     In our system, it took me a while to figure out a similar problem
> because my email preprocessor (procmail) was occasionally
> specifying the
> wrong queue when it invoked /etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate.

Now, this is a very interesting comment.  I am filtering all incoming
email for the general queue through procmail.  Here is our setup:

In /etc/aliases:

helpdesk:       "|/usr/bin/procmail -m QUEUE=general /etc/mail/
helpdesk-procmail-rules"
helpdesk-comment: "|/usr/local/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --
action comment --url http://our.RT.server/"

In /etc/mail/helpdesk-procmail-rules:

SHELL       = /bin/sh

:0 h
/dev/null

:0
| /usr/local/bin/rt-mailgate --queue $QUEUE --action correspond --url
https://our.rt.server/

Basically, I look at the SpamAssassin headers to weed out incoming
helpdesk requests that look like spam.  I'm more trusting of helpdesk-
comment, since it hasn't caused a spam problem, so I send that direct
to rt-mailgate from /etc/aliases.

Notice anything odd about this?  Given that it works most of the
time, I think this is ok, but thought maybe you could put a second
set of eyes on it.

Thanks,
Fran