[rt-users] utf8 and accents.

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Fri Aug 8 16:35:55 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Curtis Bruneau <curtisb at vianet.ca> wrote:
> I need some suggestions, I have come to the conclusion that all utf8
> collations don't do french properly, not like latin1 anyway. All accents
> are seen as the same, while binary distinct they cannot be unique
> indexed and sorting will recognize them as the same as well as queries
> using any variant character.
>
> So I'm in a bit of a bind, if I were to use RT with a case sensitive
> collation like utf8_bin would the application behave as expected? I know
> search would be much more strict and possibly confusing to the end user.

utf8_bin is good choice. You're free to use binary collation. May be
utf8_general_ci collation will be better for you. Any collation is ok
as long as you know how to deal with them in mysql.

> My other option would be to continue to use latin1, is there any way to
> accomplish this using the latest code base? It's probably not
> configurable and I don't want to have to manage diffs for the possible
> changes, unless it is fairly minimal to do..

No, we wouldn't return to that as it's totally wrong and have
concequences as it's actually violation of setting purpose. RT was
storing UTF8 encoded data in a latin1 column, so collations worked
absolutly incorrect for everything even latin1 and were close to
binary.

At this point I can suggest you move either binary collation or create
a new one and send it to mysql team for inclusion.

> The issue in question -> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=34130
>
> They said it's on 'todo', MSSQL handles this with ci_ai, ci_as, cs_ai
> and cs_as collations where the accents are either sensitive or not.
> Hopefully they do come around to it..
>
> Character difference for mysql .. http://www.collation-charts.org/mysql60/
>

> Curtis

Best regards, Ruslan.