[rt-users] utf8 and accents.

Curtis Bruneau curtisb at vianet.ca
Fri Aug 8 16:20:53 EDT 2008

I need some suggestions, I have come to the conclusion that all utf8
collations don't do french properly, not like latin1 anyway. All accents
are seen as the same, while binary distinct they cannot be unique
indexed and sorting will recognize them as the same as well as queries
using any variant character.

So I'm in a bit of a bind, if I were to use RT with a case sensitive
collation like utf8_bin would the application behave as expected? I know
search would be much more strict and possibly confusing to the end user.

My other option would be to continue to use latin1, is there any way to
accomplish this using the latest code base? It's probably not
configurable and I don't want to have to manage diffs for the possible
changes, unless it is fairly minimal to do..

The issue in question -> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=34130

They said it's on 'todo', MSSQL handles this with ci_ai, ci_as, cs_ai
and cs_as collations where the accents are either sensitive or not.
Hopefully they do come around to it..

Character difference for mysql .. http://www.collation-charts.org/mysql60/

Curtis