[rt-users] Scrip question...Getting there slowly...Time Worked

Greg Evans gevans at hcc.net
Fri Feb 8 17:09:06 EST 2008

As has been mentioned I am working on trying to get a time worked scrip up
and running. So far everything is going well except for one thing, I can
retrieve dates from the ticket without problem and they come through like:

2008-02-08 21:24:49

This seems like a fine format, but once I have 2 of them, I can't figure out
how to calculate the difference. It was suggest that I might need to convert
them to unix time and back, but I am not sure how to do that. I see that
Time::Local could possibly be used or maybe Date::Manip but my admittedly
novice Perl skills don't particularly help me out here.

Here is the scrip as it sits, and after using RT::Logger->debug it appears
that all I need is to get the date difference calculation to work

if ($self->TicketObj->Type eq "Correspond" || $self->TicketObj->Type eq
"Comment" || $self->TicketObj->Type eq "ticket")
{

#This is the part that is not working.
my $ticket_Worked = ($self->TicketObj->LastUpdated -
$self->TicketObj->Created);
#End part that is not working

$self->TicketObj->SetTimeWorked($ticket_Worked);
} else {
 return undef;
}

The other thing that I thought was weird when I looked in my rt.log was that
when I would comment on the ticket, the returned result of the if test that
I start with was "ticket" which seems strange to me, but what do I know.
Maybe someone could explain that to me as well?

Greg Evans
Internet Support
Hood Canal Communications
(360) 898-2481 ext.212