[rt-users] OCIEnvNlsCreate error trying to initialize Oracle DB

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Fri Feb 15 16:55:26 EST 2008

Joe Casadonte wrote:
> Having been scared off of using SQLite even for a small system, I've now
> bought some more memory and put Oracle on my home machine.  I can't get
> the damn schema set up, instead getting the following error:
>
> # perl sbin/rt-setup-database --dba=reqtrack --dba-password=foobar
> --action init
>
> DBI connect('reqtrack','reqtrack',...) failed: ERROR OCIEnvNlsCreate.
> Check ORACLE_HOME env var, NLS settings, permissions, etc. at
> sbin/rt-setup-database line 105
>
> Failed to connect to dbi:Oracle:reqtrack as reqtrack: ERROR
> OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check ORACLE_HOME env var, NLS settings, permissions,
> etc. at sbin/rt-setup-database line 105.
>

> I know that DBI is OK, because I run the following with no problem:
>
> # perl -MDBI -le 'DBI->connect("DBI:Oracle:", "reqtrack", "foobar");'
> #

OK, this is a long time ago that I did an Oracle setup from scratch but
something about the error is tickling my memory.
The I do it normally is to make my rt_user a DBA (temporarily) so that I
don't need the --dba argument. Think the problem is in that part.
I seem to remember that rt-setup-database reconnect and that is causing
problems. Could be way of now but my method seems to work all the time.
You're in trouble if you can't grant DBA rights to you rt_user.

Hope this helps you going, if not I might be able to help, just let me know.

Joop