[rt-users] The ShowSavedSearches right and a patch for SavedSearches.pm

William J. Horka whorka at hmdc.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 18 17:39:54 EDT 2008

Kenn,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this won't work in our
environment because we need to grant users the ability to load saved
searches that were saved to other groups' sets of saved searches.

For example, a group named Foo_Write has permissions to view and create
tickets in the Foo queue, as well as save searches to "Foo_Write's saved
searches" in the Query builder. A group named Foo_Read has permissions
to view tickets in the Foo queue, as well as the ShowSavedSearches right
on the Foo_Write group. By my understanding of the documentation,
members of the Foo_Read group should be able to load from "Foo_Write's
saved searches" in the Query builder.

However, this is not what happens in practice; the code in
SavedSearches.pm that populates the "Load saved search" box in the Query
builder looks for saved searches only in the groups that the user is a
member of -- not all the groups that the user has the ShowSavedSearches
right on -- and even allows the user to load saved searches from groups
they are a member of when they do _not_ have the ShowSavedSearches right
on the group.

If my understanding is correct and the patch I proposed is accepted, you
would need to grant each group the ShowSavedSearches right on itself in
order for members of the group to be able to see the group's saved
searches. This would create a bit of work for installations configured
like yours, but I still think it makes sense; other group privileges are
treated in this way, such as AdminGroup and AdminGroupMembership -- you
wouldn't want group members to have these rights by default with no way
to revoke them.

If my understanding is not correct, then what is the ShowSavedSearches
right for?

      -Bill

William Horka
UNIX Systems Administrator