[rt-users] Safe to modify ScripActions table in database

gordon at cryologic.com gordon at cryologic.com
Tue Oct 21 20:54:16 EDT 2008

Kenneth Crocker wrote:
> Gordon,
>

> 	Probably not, as this table merely contains a POSSIBLE action and the
> code executed. The scrip table points to a certain record on the
> "Action" table when a scrip is created. However, I really do not
> understand why on earth would you do that rather than let RT do it (and
> any other possible functions) for you when you create your
> "user-defined" code in a scrip. It seems alot like inventing the wheel
> all over again when there are numerous ones that can be used. Your
> choice, I just do not see the advantage against possible risk.

In actual fact I don't have to invent any code. The ScripActions table
basically contains various sets of watchers (eg.1 Owner, eg.2
Requestor,Cc) and RT modules to execute. I have just added another set
of watchers (AdminCc,Cc,Owner,OtherRecipients).

I am using it to reduce the number of duplicate emails people receive.
Instead of firing off separate scrips to notify Owner, AdminCc and Cc on
a Comment (which leads to duplicate emails if a person is added as one
type of watcher while they are already another), we now have one scrip
to email watchers on Comment. This works for us as we use the same
template to email all watchers.

Gordon