[rt-users] why does the freebsd port have 200+ dependancies?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Jan 27 15:29:55 EST 2009

(FreeBSD specific post, if you're not using you can simply ignore this
message)

After seeing the ten bazillion things that www/rt38 wanted to install
I ended up building a new machine separate from our build server just
to build all of these ports.  I installed every one of them by hand
(non-root user, typing the root password each time, manually checking
the config option for each port).  I disabled every option in GD and
GraphWiz that I could, and it still installed 272 ports.

In particular, it installed 120-something X11 apps and libraries on a
machine which doesn't have X11, will never have X11, and explicitly
has WITHOUT_X11=yes in /etc/make.conf.   So it's being overridden
somewhere.

I have now removed 100-something of these ports and RT continues to
operate and function in every way, without any difficulty.  After
every 10 or so ports I remove (usually in the same dependancy branch)
I stop and retest every function RT provides.

Before I continue to waste my time trying to figure out why so many
things are enabled, could you as a maintainer perhaps address the
question of why so many extra ports are added?  Are these extra ports
added to satisfy requirements in extensions that you have added to
RT?   Can I convince you to put those dependancies in a separate port
with that extension so that we aren't required to have massive port
bloat with the base package?

Note to RT Maintainers: it would be nice if you documented the
explicit list of dependancies rather than forcing us to read the code
to figure it out.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness