[rt-users] httpd.conf configuration problem

Easyrider Inquiry Inquiry at Easyrider.com
Mon Oct 12 01:09:37 EDT 2009

James Moseley wrote:

>     I am now at essentially the same problem I had a week ago where
>     someone was able to help me get /helpdesk to bring up the login
>     page but as soon as you hit "login" the browser goes directly to
>     the site web page at /var/www/html.  I believe you can verify this
>     from the Internet as well.
>

> Remember in a previous email I told you about that trailing /?
>
> Try: http://backup.easyrider.com/helpdesk/
>
> and see if that works...   It does for me...
>

>     I did a grep for FastCgiIpcDir /tmp and FastCgiServer
>     /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -idle-timeout 120 in httpd.conf
>     and found nothing but as you say, it seems likely that they are
>     there somewhere since the root URL RT works just fine.  The
>     difference between the configuration that works and the
>     configuration that almost works is literally less than a half
>     dozen lines of code.
>
>     I did spend several days trying various combinations of entries in
>     the examples listed in
>     http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/FedoraCore4InstallGuide to get
>     around my current problem.  Each change either had no effect or
>     made things worse.  The fellow who was helping me last week
>     eventually gave up which is probably what I would do too if
>     quitting was an option.
>

>  Well, if you claim everything works the other way around, you must
> have those lines someplace...  Look in the config files in
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/*
>

> --
> James Moseley
Oh Brother!  I've sacrificed a week out of what's left of my life over a
trailing slash!?!?!?  Holy cow.  This is why I am not a programmer....

I REALLY appreciate your patience and your willingness to stick with
this to a final solution.  VERY much appreciated!  Now I need to do a
good deed for someone to keep the chain going.

So just for fun, what do I need to do to get /helpdesk to work without
the trailing slash when someone complains about it and I've long since
forgotten about last week's pain?

Also, a tiny thing that I wouldn't even care about except that it's one
of those things I'd rather fix while I am in there and everything is
fresh in my mind.  There's still things in RT_siteconfig.pm that aren't
being honored, such as LogoLinkURL.  If it's an easy fix I'd prefer to
do it since I'm guessing there's still  something  in that pm file that
isn't quite right.  My previous experience with RT is that it is
bullet-proof once you get it up and running.  Once I get these few tiny
things resolved I don't expect to have to  mess around with it again for
a very long time.

Just for those who come along with the same problem and read this thread:

[root at security webalizer-2.21-02]# grep -i fastcgi /etc/httpd/conf.d/*
/etc/httpd/conf.d/FastCGI.conf:LoadModule fastcgi_module
modules/mod_fastcgi.so
/etc/httpd/conf.d/FastCGI.conf:  FastCgiIpcDir /tmp
/etc/httpd/conf.d/FastCGI.conf:  FastCgiServer
/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -idle-timeout 120 -processes 8
/etc/httpd/conf.d/FastCGI.conf:  FastCgiConfig -restart
[root at security webalizer-2.21-02]#

This is a configuration that works for http://backup.easyrider.com/helpdesk/

# ----- START ---------

NameVirtualHost *:80
      <VirtualHost *:80>
       ServerName backup.easyrider.com
       ServerAdmin nospam_2009 at Easyrider.com
       AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
       AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
       Alias /helpdesk/NoAuth/images /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images
       ScriptAlias /helpdesk /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
     </VirtualHost>

# ---- END -----------

# ---- START ---------

Set($WebPath , "/helpdesk");
Set($WebBaseURL , "http://backup.easyrider.com");
Set($WebImagesURL , $WebPath . "/NoAuth/images/");

# Things further down the file that may/may not be working correctly

Set($WebPort , 80);# + ($< * 7274) % 32766 + ($< && 1024));
Set($WebURL , $WebBaseURL . $WebPath . "/");
Set($LogoURL , $WebImagesURL . "bplogo.gif");

# The following directives are not being honored

Set($LogoLinkURL, 'http://security.nocdesigns.com'); # Still displays
bestpractical
Set($LogoAltText, "Easyrider LAN Pro");

Set($WebNoAuthRegex, qr!^(?:/+NoAuth/| /+REST/\d+\.\d+/NoAuth/)!x );